If you’ve visited Desire Resorts, you already know that sex is undeniably hotter while you’re on vacation, but research suggests that travel is also good for your health! A recent study by Expedia collected data from over two million travelers and concludes that travel can improve health, increase confidence, encourage weight loss and boost libido — imagine if their respondents knew our Desire Resorts’ secret!
It makes sense that (even vanilla) leisure travel contributes to overall health, as vacations are associated with a reduction in stress levels. When stress plummets, feel-good chemicals increase and the way we feel about ourselves (and our bodies) shifts in a positive direction. Couple this shift with improved sleep, fewer responsibilities, quality time spent with loved ones, and a sense of escapism and you have a recipe for both bliss and sexual desire.
If you’re looking to make the most of your vacation in terms of its health benefits, consider the following travel tips:
- Pack healthy snacks for the plane ride. Even if you’re lucky enough to be offered a meal, it’s likely that it will be packed with more preservatives, sodium and calories than flavor. I pack celery sticks, orange wedges, water crackers and cheese for short-haul flights and request the “healthy option” when checking in for transatlantic journeys. My goal isn’t to deprive myself (you do NOT want to run into me when I’m “hangry”), but simply to avoid “wasting” calories on airplane meals from which I derive very little pleasure.
- Be a persnickety drinker. Those blended pink and blue concoctions are tasty, but cocktails with natural juices (e.g. fresh lime or orange juice) present a healthier option without sacrificing flavor. The mojitos on the beach at Desire Resorts are among my favorite, as they muddle fresh lime, mint and rum with just a splash of soda. Remember,, drink in moderation. Do as I say, not as I do.
- Explore new territory on foot. On a recent trip to Europe, my husband and I clocked an average of 23 KM/14 miles per day (according to his Apple watch) which helped to offset the wine, pastries and cheese consumed en route. When we visit Desire Pearl, we enjoy a brisk beach walk to town each morning and stop for a freshly squeezed juice or espresso at Cafe de Amancia in Puerto Morelos before strolling back for breakfast.
- Join the FitnessBlender revolution! You may not want to spend an hour in the gym every morning, but if you start your day with this simple 7-minute scientific workout which requires no equipment, you’ll reap the physical and emotional benefits all day long.
- Don’t sacrifice sleep. Whether you set your alarm an hour later or catch some shuteye in the afternoon beneath a palapa, be sure to make sleep a priority to ensure hormonal and metabolic balance.
- Start the day with a smoothie. Desire Resorts’ bars and restaurants are equipped with Vitamix Nutrition Centres which can blend almost anything (even a running shoe according to YouTube) into a tasty, healthy breakfast drink. Load up a plate full of fresh fruit and vegetables (pineapple, banana, spinach and orange are my go-to choices), choose a fresh juice (I love their maca blend) and let the bartender work his/her magic! I’m not a fan of vegetables, but the Vitamix has changed my life forever and I was thrilled to discover that Desire Resorts are also a fan of this top-tier blender.
- Take the long road home. Whether your opt to take the stairs in lieu of the elevator or wander through the streets on your way home from dinner, exploring unchartered territory is good for the body, mind and soul.
- Get it on! Sexual activity only improves circulation, tones the pelvic floor and burns calories — not that you need another excuse.
- Savour every bite. Food is a central feature for many travellers, myself included, but focusing on quality over quantity is of paramount importance. Whether you’re enjoying a Michelin starred tasting menu or a sumptuous buffet, making every bite count will ensure that you’re eating for pleasure — not sport.
Dr. Jessica O’Reilly is a sex and relationship expert, best selling author and TV personality. She is the host of PlayboyTV’s Swing and in-house relationship expert for Global TV’s The Morning Show. Her advice reaches millions each month via international media outlets including Showtime, Cosmopolitan, SELF, Women’s Health and Men’s Fitness and in the past year alone, she has travelled to Turkey, Czech Republic, Poland, France, Italy, Austria, Mexico, Switzerland, Hungary, Jamaica, Canada and across the U.S. to work with high-power couples (including royalty and presidential candidates) to transform their relationships from good to great.
More importantly, Dr. Jess is a huge fan of Desire Resorts and is proud to be their official Sex & Relationship expert, as she believes that one visit has the potential to transform your relationship.